Friday, July 11, 2008

Adult Dinner with Conversation

Most people don't think twice about having an adult dinner with adult conversation. Those of us with children find this opportunity rare. I am usually spending the first part of my meal fixing plates, cutting up meat, fixing drinks, convincing them to eat their vegetables or whatever else they don't like and referring any arguments about what color glass they want. I then get my plate fixed and then proceed to shovel it down so I can be ready to clean the kids before they get sticky hands all over the place. Or get them more food and drink. Needless, to say my meals are not very relaxing and most of the time there is very little adult conversation.

Meals are worse if we go out to a restaurant or someone's house. I am then much more paranoid about them getting food all over the place, closing their mouth when they chew or just being quiet and using "our in door voice".

So, when we got invited for Adult Dinner with conversation ( yes that was a side dish) at Pooka and Papa's house, we jumped at the opportunity. (Mostly, I did. I don't think Bryan could have jumped with his back in this condition even if he wanted to.) It was nice to enjoy my food and the company at the same time. Sure I had to fix Bryan's plate before mine (because he couldn't move), but all in all it was really nice.

Another nice thing is to have a conversation where you exist in it. (If you have kids you know what I am talking about. ) As soon as you have even 1 child, they become the focus and get ALL the attention. Everyone wants to see and be with the child. It is almost like you don't exist anymore. ( Except when there is a dirty diaper of course. ) You don't mind because that child is your focus and you love them so much. You love showing them off. But after a while and 4 kids later you crave Adult conversation and attention.

So, this is to say THANK YOU to Mom and Dad H. for giving that to us. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was fun to visit with everyone and not have to cut a conversation short because you have to chase after one of the kids. Hallie, Sydney and Luke missed not coming but they get their own time every other week, so it all works out. Plus Grandma and Grandpa got them ice cream, which cures any sadness.

5 comments:

the Cheerful Optimist said...

And we took them to the park where they climb, jump, slid, hung, twirl and swung. They were so tired they need ice cream to re-energized themselves. It was fun.

Bryan said...

Of course thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for being there to watch the kids. Thanks!

The Morris's said...

I glad you guys had that time to enjoy adult conversation.

Lonna said...

I really thank Grandma and Grandpa Stevens. It is so rare a thing to actually talk to you and Bryan that it was just a nice time. I love my time with the kids but I miss MY kids too. Spur of the moment seems to work best for our family and all 5 of the kids plus their spouses were available and well...I jumped on it. I'm sorry Bryan hurt so much but it was really nice for all of us!!!

Princess Lisa said...

You guys have kids??? I never noticed...
I guess that explains those midgets that always follow you around...